Proposals have been announced for the delivery of new neighbourhood facilities for local residents at Southdale, one of Scotland’s largest regeneration projects.
Located immediately south of Armadale in West Lothian this £300m mixed-use development, fully integrated with the town, is being undertaken by developer EWP Investments (EWP).
A planning application has now been lodged for the delivery of a parade of retail units, located at Southdale Way, which could include a food outlet/coffee shop and dental surgery.
Dears Pharmacy has already applied to open a pharmacy in one of the units, offering the full range of NHS pharmaceutical services. It is also looking at the potential to incorporate a Post Office counter into this.
In addition to new housing, this mixed-used development has already delivered an ASDA, Arnold Clark Citroen dealership, Marston’s pub restaurant and Wee Gems private nursery. A new primary school is set to open at the site in August.
When complete the mixed-use development at Southdale will include:
- Potentially around 2,000 houses and flats (including future phases if consented)
- Other local amenities and services, including:
- Shops, cafes and restaurants
- Potential for the delivery of a new health centre for the town, as well as dental surgery, opticians and other associated uses
- Employment uses including industrial, distribution, offices, business and trade parks
A representative from EWP said:
“We are delighted to be announcing plans for the delivery of new neighbourhood facilities at Southdale.
“There has already been encouraging interest in this proposed parade of retail units, including a pharmacy which has applied to open in one of the units, offering the full range of NHS pharmaceutical services. It is also looking at the potential to incorporate a Post Office counter into this facility.
“Other potential uses for the units include a food outlet/coffee shop and dental surgery.
“The provision of facilities and services which are not currently provided by the adjacent Asda store will be particularly convenient for local families using the new primary school.
“As part of one of Scotland’s most ambitious regeneration projects these retail units will offer more key business and employment opportunities for incoming businesses and for local people.”
For further information please contact Alex Orr at Orbit Communications on 0131 603 8996
Notes to Editors
Before an application can be received by NHS Lothian for a pharmacy, regulations require that NHS Lothian and Dears Pharmacy carry out a joint consultation with the residents who live in the area.
For further information on the above and to respond to the consultation please go to the NHS Lothian website at: www.nhslothian.scot.nhs.uk/Services/Pharmacies/NewPharmacyApplications.
- Southdale is one of Scotland’s largest regeneration projects. Located immediately south of Armadale in West Lothian this £300m mixed-use development, fully integrated with the town, is being undertaken by developer EWP Investments (EWP).
- Southdale includes housing, employment, education facilities, leisure pursuits and a wider range of other amenities. A new transport network incorporates roads, a railway station and cycle routes.
- When complete it is hoped that this new community will occupy over 440 acres and create thousands of permanent jobs.
- The first phases of development are located within the Armadale Core Development Area (CDA), the first of the West Lothian CDAs to start following the adoption of the Local Plan in 2009.
- For further information on Southdale please visit www.southdaledevelopment.co.uk.