One of Scotland’s largest regeneration projects took yet another major step forward with the planning approval granted by West Lothian Council for the second phase of development at Southdale, subject to conditions.
Southdale (formerly Armadale Station Development) in West Lothian, is currently one of Scotland’s most exciting private developments and is being undertaken by lead developer, EWP Investments Ltd (EWP).
West Lothian Council’s Development Management Committee approved the construction of 384 houses (including 40 allocated for new-build affordable Council housing), commercial units and community facilities with associated roads, footpaths, open spaces and civic areas and servicing infrastructure.
Commercial units and community facilities would potentially include:
- Children’s nursery adjacent to the new station access road.
- Neighbourhood shop just off the new roundabout on Station Road.
- Area earmarked for “community” amenity users, such as a dental surgery and hopefully a new doctor’s surgery to serve the growing population of Armadale. In addition, spaces have been designed to accommodate a number of local businesses who have expressed interest into expanding into the area, such as hairdressers, beauticians and chiropodists.
- A landscaped civic square in the heart of the development, opposite the new primary school.
- Two mixed use buildings incorporating flats and ground floor commercial units set around the Asda supermarket and civic square.
Approval of the second phase follows on the back of:
- An agreement to sell another housing plot to one of the largest residential developers in Scotland, Taylor Wimpey, for 85 homes.
- The near completion of Arnold Clark’s new Citroen Dealership which is due to open in early December.
- Marstons’ Inns and Taverns also securing a site and lodging a planning application for their pub restaurant.
Once complete the initial first stage of Southdale will include 1,000 houses and flats; business and industrial units; leisure eg hotel and cinema; a local centre of health excellence; retail and a new two-stream primary school to serve the wider community of Armadale.
Sandra Carter from EWP Investments Ltd commented:
“We are delighted to have secured approval for the second phase of the development. Southdale continues to be one of the most exciting and successful regeneration projects currently taking place in West Lothian and Scotland and we are now keen to build on the momentum already generated from the success of the first phase.”
For further information please contact Alex Orr at Orbit Communications on 0131 603 8996.
Southdale (formerly Amadale Station Development) is one of Scotland’s largest and fastest growing regeneration projects. This exciting £200 million mixed-use development is located immediately south of the town of Armadale in West Lothian and is being undertaken by developer EWP Investment Ltd. Southdale is situated within the Armadale Core Development Area (CDA) and occupies over 80 acres.